There are enough instances of the file drawer problem in academia. A similar notion applies to applications, where we only hear of the successes, perpetuating a hero narrative and brazenly skipping over the missed targets. I don’t want to add to that, so I’ve decided to collate this list of grant/project proposals and applications that have been rejected. Here are my rejections as an anti-CV.
- Research Council Grant (Co-I)Application not shortlistedApprox. time of submission: June 2020
- Mini doctoral training hub (PI)Equivalent of 4 PhD students (~ £80k)Application not shortlistedApprox. time of submission: December 2019
- XXX mock panelApplication rejected before shortlistingApprox. time of submission: December 2019
- Lectureship at XXX UniversityApplication rejected before interview stageApprox. time of submission: November 2018
- XXX Journal Editorial BoardBid for editor role; rejected after EoI submissionApprox. time of submission: May 2018
- Gamified Employability and Transferable Skills DevelopmentInternal TDF bid; rejected after EoI submissionApprox. time of submission: February 2018Amount requested: £15,000